Saturday, May 29, 2010

How to wear a Ghutrah

I venture into the Old Souk market catering to tourists, where is infiltrated by low-end souvenir and textile shops run by mostly Indians. 
“Excuse me, MY FRIEND, Gucci handbags? Scarfs?” The street vendors, with fake Gucci handbags wrapped around their arms, are grabbing tourists like me to check out their shops in the backstreet. Although I'm intrigued by their "friendly" invites, the repetition of it and making eye contact with them can be very intimidating to some extent, at least for me.
The Emiratis and men of other Arabic nationalities wear their traditional costumes called Kandoura or Dishdasha in Arabic, along with a head cloth “Ghutrah” tied with a “Agal.”
I can’t help but wonder what my brother would look like with a Bisht, a combination of Ghutrah and Agal. So I bought a set after the Indian vendor show me how to put them all into one piece.
“This is Saudi style, my friend!”

The funny thing is, I found out later from my Saudi classmate, that what he wears isn't the Saudi headwear, but the Kuwaiti one, which comes with a tail in the back of a ghutrah. The Indian is wrong!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment